Search in: Word
Vietnamese keyboard: Off
Virtual keyboard: Show
Computing (FOLDOC) dictionary (also found in English - English (Wordnet), )
Jump to user comments
jargon /kluhj/ (From the old Scots "kludgie" meaning an
outside toilet) A Scottish engineering term for anything added
in an ad hoc (and possibly unhygenic!) manner. At some point
during the Second World War, Scottish engineers met Americans
and the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of kludge became
confused with that of "kluge".
The spelling "kludge" was apparently popularised by the
"Datamation" cited below which defined it as "An ill-assorted
collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing
The result of this tangled history is a mess; in 1993, many
(perhaps even most) hackers pronounce the word /klooj/ but
spell it "kludge" (compare the pronunciation drift of mung).
Some observers consider this appropriate in view of its